Coast to Coast Renewal Service - Coast-to-coast (magazine) renewal service - here we go again

May 09, 2013
review #407091

(See my post on July 24, 2013 re: Central Periodic Services)

It happened again, with a different company!"Coast-to-coast Renewal Service" - (218)789-4126.

For the last several months, I have been receiving about a dozen magazines (started with 1, every month added a new one) for a few months, that I had not ordered. Nobody could tell me who ordered them, but that I was not paying for them. Same thing, getting calls asking if I was receiving them ok, I told them that I didn't order nor would I pay for them. Then, I got "the" call wanting to know if I wanted to renew, and that I would have to listen to a "recording" in order to cancel.

I told them that I never ordered this, etc. etc., and the guy (Phillip Jones) asked to put me on hold so he could talk to his supervisor. After about 5 minutes, I got disconnected. I checked my credit card online and, sure enough, had a pending charge for magazines for $5.

I called both the number on the card and the number that called me and told them to get if off there (the last one said that it was an "accident," that Phillip had pushed the wrong button!) Anyway, they said that it would take 3 to 5 days to get it off my card. Day 4, is still there. (I didn't cancel my card the last time, didn't think it would happen again - ha!) I am paying it off and getting a new card this time. (Still not sure how they got the card number in the first place.) The only magazine I have ordered is one through my niece's girl scouts, paid with a check.

I never give anybody my bank account number, at least with a credit card you have an out!Anyway, the new rip off magazine renewal is "Coast to coast Renewal," FYI!!

ab29ff0
Had an experience with Coast to Coast Renewal Service?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
myfatherthehero

Aug 24 San Francisco, California

I'm completely willing to initiate a class action lawsuit against Coast to Coast Renewal. I'd like to do a bit of organizing first, but I am curious if anyone else would be willing to participate. I'm posting a similar inquiry at ripoffreport and other similar sites. The same happened to my dad. He was sick for some time. I feel like what they are doing is elder abuse and mail fraud.

Tom

Aug 26 Phoenix, Arizona

I wouldn't mind. The problem I have is that Subscriber Data Management, of Charlotte, NC, which holds Coast to Coast renewal, resolved, or so I thought, my situation (albeit not before I paid them over $1200 at an earlier time). THEY say I'm clear and done with them and on their Do Not Call list, but today I got a call out of Henderson, NV wanting me to go through the SAME process of taking off the otherwise 5 year automatic renewal. Exact same playbook. Had I not been argumentative, they would have had me answer, on recording, questions which would have included agreeing to pay them thousands over time...again! The guy sent me to a manager, who told me that if I had indeed gone through the process before, they would have given me a six digit confirmation number. (The guy on before implied I needed to come up with a confirmation number too.) Anyway, that's as far as she got before the call cut off suddenly (strategically I think).
I didn't get an admission from them as to their being related to Coast to Coast this time, but neither did they deny it. I pretty much believe it is though because the playbook is EXACTLY THE SAME.
The other thing is I do not remember who they said they were when they called me. They say it but once and never repeat it. When calling back, they do not, in any of their recorded messages, ever mention the name of the outfit. I called back close to their closing time and got put on hold, and then when they closed got a message that
... Show more

Aug 27

I now have had 3 different names under which they operate. The only way I knew was to call the different magazines and ask them who ordered them. (They give me the company name and phone number.) And I did receive (and still am receiving) the magazines, but I never ordered anything! Thank God they only had my credit card number and not my bank account, never paid them a dime. (I did have to cancel my credit card.) I get about 10 different magazines a month, always have, although the magazines change every once in a while. (I'm the original poster on this - nspencer, 5/9/13 - and my 1st line should have been "...July 24, 2012," not 2013.) Anyway, I just wanted to agree that they do operate under different names, and also share where I found out which company ordered which magazine. I still can't figure out where they got my info, have a couple of possibilities, but not sure. But I do know that the only magazines I have ever ordered have been through my niece's girl scouts or school, so when they ask about the others, (when they call to ask if my magazines are arriving in good condition) I always say they have, but I did not order nor will I pay for any of them. But if these people did this to my 84 year old mother, she would not remember if she had ordered anything, and she would get so confused by their tactics! (if there is anything I can do to help, I surely will!)

Tom

Aug 26 Phoenix, Arizona

Also, I tried using one of those pay services for $7.95 to find out the name of the company owning the number, and even that failed, they told me I could have another look-up on them because even they could get nothing. This is how well they keep stuff covered so that a person can't easily get the name of their company.

Aug 27

(See my previous comment.) I called the magazines and asked them who ordered/paid for this magazine, they gave me the name and phone number - that's how I found out they were different companies. - Nancy

anonymous

Jul 10 North Wales, Pennsylvania

These people are a pain in the a**! I called them to request a copy of the so-called contract. the man I spoke to said he would send it right out to me. I have contacted the media for assistance with this conundrum, and they are working on it. Get in touch with the attorney general in your state and report your situation to him.

msc

May 14

I thought I was getting rid of magazines sent to me & thought they were helping me when in fact they signed me up for 5 yes absent me a bill r $1200.00
What turned out to be unsubscribing was this? Tried calling magazines direct to cancel couldn't. It
What can I. To stop this??

May 21 Bastrop, Texas

They are very tricky. Did you use a credit card? If so, first, tell them you are fighting it. Also, if there is a charge on there, there will also be a phone number on the bill, these are the billing people. I was able to cancel through them. (I get a call from the magazine people, not sure which connection but they call to see if the magazines are "arriving and in good condition," I tell them they are but I did not order and am not paying for them. Good luck (and do not pay, fight!) - Nancy (I started all this). :eek :upset

May 21 Bastrop, Texas

In addition - I did cancel my credit card, so they can't bill me, and in the last 2 weeks I have started receiving 2 MORE (new) magazines! (Oprah and People). I am receiving so many magazines, and I have not paid a penny, so at least I am costing them a fortune. (But I still don't want a dozen magazines a month, it is a pain.) I did get a couple cancelled, through the actual magazine company, but most of them won't do it unless it is through "Coast to Coast." Also, I have noticed (here) that some people receive bills in the mail - I have never received anything in the mail from them. And they have not reported me to any credit agencies/bureaus, I still have excellent credit. (I just thought I would add some other things I have noticed, just FYI.) - Nancy :( :sigh :upset

0 0
difficult times

Mar 25 Los Angeles, California

This just happened to me . I was subscribed to a magazine before so didnt think of it much. I was told I had one a 250 dollar gift card.I was stoked I was skeptic at first but didnt think of it much so went through the process and gave them my debit card number and my 3 digit security number on the back of the card. I was just thinking of cancelling my card and hoping I dont get charged?would that be my best bet to avoid this scam ?

msc

May 14 Livingston, New Jersey

What did you do? Cancelled got a new card they sent a bill by postal mail.
My credit is bad enough without this.

Mar 18

I have reported Coast to Coast to the Do Not Call list, since I have been on the list for such a long time. If you are on the list go online to www.donotcall.gov and report this number. If enough ppl complain the greater the chance they will be fined and ordered to stop calling ppl on the list. If you haven't registered please do at www.donotcall.gov

AB

Mar 04

Because I am in a clear state of mind/heart/body, I could feel the dishonest nature of this Coast to Coast call today. Of course these gentlemen on the phone need to make a living, but it seems to be through a dishonest medium.
Just be clear, kind, firm, and direct: "Well, I do not know what magazines I signed up for or when. Can you tell me what magazines and when ((they say : "no.. I don't have that information...")) Clear, firm, direct: "I may have entered a contest is which you came to get my address and number. No, I do want to subscribe or renew to anything with you today. No, you may not have any more of my information. Thank you, have a great day."

Jan 22

I was called on a courtesy call as well. They asked if I wanted to renew. I said no. Then they worded it so they made it sound like they already had all my information, including the last four digits of my credit card, and they just needed to verify it was me. To verify, I had to give them the rest of my credit card #. I was an ***, and I gave it to them, because I was receiving magazines, and had signed up for a magazine company before. Then it started getting weird, and the lady said they had been sending magazines to me for free for the last 24 months, and now it was time to start making payments of $50.99 for the next 30 months. I told them I thought I had already payed for services at the beginning, 2 years ago,and that I didn't want to renew. They said that they had no record and I still owed them money. Trying to be an honest person, I went through their process of verifying, only to realize at the end, after calculating, I'd owe them around $1,700. Something didn't sound right. But, by then the process was done and they were hanging up. I still didn't feel like something was right, so I called them back no more then 10 minutes later and got the answering machine saying their offices were now closed. I tried 2 more times in a ten day period,at different times, only to hear the same message. I finally just cancelled the debit/credit card and got a new one. They're still calling me. Pic tell them to cancel me out and they won't let me. I hear they can't send me to... Show more

Pissed the eff off

Nov 06, 2013 Dallas, Texas

This just happened to me tonight! I knew I should've just hung up the phone. But they asked if I wanted to cancel the auto renewal and since I got tricked into this magazine service in the first place of course I didn't want it to auto renew! So I talked with the guy Dariell first who then transferred me to a girl Carrie. I talked with Carrie for awhile and asked her several questions and she clarified what I had to answer yes and no to to get the auto renew cancelled and then she started the recorded conversation. Looking back at it now and after reading these comments I'm pretty sure I just signed up for another service. Had anybody found a way to get out of this? I'm tempted to cancel my credit card and send the magazine's back "return to sender". Maybe calling all the magazines up directly to cancel would help. I'd anybody has any ideas to help with this I would greatly appreciate it. This is some BS!

NancyS515

Nov 06, 2013

(I am the one who posted the first "complaint" here.) I first checked my credit card online to see if they had charged it. (And they had.) Then I called the number next to their charge on the credit card, which was the "service" that they use (Their billing service?) and told the person that I had not requested the magazines in the first place, I never agreed to pay them, and they should take the charge off my credit card. (Which, believe it or not, they did.) But that may depend on who does the actual "charging." Then I called my credit card company and told them about it all. Since the charge was still under "pending," I could not file an official dispute, and they DID take it off. But had they not, as soon as it showed up on the card, I was to follow the dispute procedures, and the credit card company would "unpay" them (?) and take it off my card. (It was a visa card, not sure how other cards do this, but probably similar.) At least you do have a way out when they do this on a credit card, I feel bad for people who do it through their bank/debit cards! Whenever they call, (asking if my magazines arrived in good condition), I tell them that I never ordered the magazines, and will not pay for them. (And they say they will take me off their list!) But I am still getting magazines (about 16 a month), and every once in a while (always after I receive a call), they try to charge my card, and I go through the same thing - call the number and call the credit card... Show more

Mar 18

Have the cc company issue a new card with a new number and cancel your current card. That is what I did. That way the cc company returns any bill back to them. The new thing I did when they called a couple of days ago was to tell them I don't get magazines and have no clue what they are talking about. Also, if you are on the do not call list file a complaint at www.donotcall.gov if you are not registered, go to the site and register. Then file the complaint...

Mar 18

Call your cc company and cancel the card. Explain to the cc company what happened and they will dispute for you. Look at the cc statement the correct number will be on it. Call them tell them you cancelled the card and want them to cancel. If they tell you that you have to answer a bunch of questions tell them no. Give them your name and address as it appears on the magazine then tell them that is all they are getting from you. If they connect you to billing tell them the same thing and that you want them to mail you a conformation letter of your cancellation. If they refuse I would contact a lawyer. My sister is a paralegal and had to draw up a letter telling them to cease and desist anymore contact with my parents. They stopped, I don't think they want to be dragged into court. For me it started w/a co in Michigan which cancelled, but must have sold my info to others as I am still getting mags. When they called the other day I told them I don't get mags and have no clue what they are talking about. He apologized and hung up. I have reported the # to the do not call list. If enough ppl report them they will be fined and forced to stop contacting ppl on the list.

Mar 18 Bastrop, Texas

(Nancy here, original post!) I (finally) called my credit card company and cancelled/reissued card w/new number. I got another call the other day from them, and every time I get a different story on how to cancel, but always ends up with the same results - wanting me to listen to their "quickly spoken" statement and give their "instructed" answer. Anyway, the last guy I talked to was nice, and I could understand him very well, and I did tell him that I had been having problems with them before (nicely), something to the effect that I was "on" to them! I didn't tell him that I was going to cancel the card, but I got him to verify the last 4 numbers to make sure we were talking about the same card. (Oh, and in the mean time, I received 2 new magazines this week!) And I am going to the "do not call" site and update that. Thanks for keeping this going! :upset

sjm

Sep 12, 2013

I am a victom of the magazine scam
I paid 29.90 for 4 months they (coast to coast) said i owe them 89.70 to finish my bill and cancel.plus said i was signed up with eastern readers service as well for 27,90 a moth, they cancelled eastern with no more money but had to split the bill over this month and next to get out of owing them 792.00 i was crying . It was a scam i was to get a gas card for 100 plus a i pod for my daughter as well as 6o months of magazines 7 magazines i got scammed!

1-20 of 36 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Coast to Coast Renewal Service.
Filing a new complaint about
×